Whilst thinking about planning my packing to the lovely city of Tianjin for this years World Economic Forum Summer Davos session I got an email from my little cousin with a link that actually one of our board had also sent me some days back.
So without repeating what I read – I wanted to link to the article as I think it is very insightful… http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2010/09/what-a-ceo-does-continued.html
The important here is to note a few really important elements in the CEO hat:
1. In the beginning the CEO does everything – sweep the floor to decide billion dollar vision.
2. At a certain points he/she build a team and starts to flow the creative juices – he/she is in the team.
3. At a certain point, arguable, he or she is partly in the team and partly out of it… in some cases the bond with the COO grows but distinctly the job at the top becomes lonely.
4. They have to usher brilliance and encourage people to take chances yet shepherd the company to steer properly; this is sometimes contradictory.
5. They have to be able to live and breathe uncertainty externally and yet breathe calm/peace when they look into the eyes of those in their company…
6. They need to excite, inspire and push forward… and ideally create a chain reaction so everyone else does.
7. They need to focus on long term and short terms – stitching what sometimes look as different chapters from a different book into a single book!
8. They at times need to make unpopular decisions and things that align with the vision.
9. They need to smile a lot and be able to communicate culture, vision but also failure with the same passion and gusto…
10. THEY NEED TO BELIEVE….
More on Tianjin in the next post – am about to leave this coffee shop! Oh the perils of running around in monsoon season in India!